Saturday, March 8, 2014

Prison City, Imprisoned Mind

I remember the first time that I was drawn into critical discussions with my fellow architecture students on the role of an architect or urban designer in shaping the society and the city as a whole. It was during my second year in architecture in which the scope of the architecture studio increased from a single user dwelling to mass user program that require contextual studies of the given site. Back then, my lack of exposure in the built environment as well as my naïve mindset of finding the correct or proper method to design prompted nothing more than the regular set back from boundary, acquire the right plinth area and subsequently extruding the area into a standard block with fancy façade treatment. The program was simple enough to develop; if the given site is close to a tourist attraction, a visitor centre or a gallery showcasing the local products and if it is close to nature, an observation tower. It wasn't wrong but there were multiple variations of the same concept or similar programs done by other students.

The word radical was not in my architectural vocabulary until I was invited to attend a joint student committee meeting in another local university in Malaysia, University Kebangsaan Malaysia (UKM). I was introduced to the student president of UKM, Beh Ssi Cze who won the Evolo 2010 Skyscraper Competition along with two of his peers. It didn’t take long to locate the winning entry as it was exhibited proudly in the faculty’s atrium, and rightly so given that Evolo is an international competition of high prestige. The exhibition space was soon filled with my peers from Taylor’s University, whispering and mumbling our “critique” of the exhibited work. It wasn’t the rendering or graphic that impressed us nor the drawings and diagrams that was meticulously drawn. No, it was the sheer title of Vertical Prison that garnered most of our discussions. The concept itself was shocking to me at the time, given the lack of structural support, aesthetic value and more importantly, the feasibility of the entire project in our society!


Evolo 2010 Skyscraper First Prize Entry: The Vertical Prison. Image Courtesy of Evolo
CreditsChow Khoon Toong, Ong Tien Yee, Beh Ssi Cze


The concept of a vertical prison was so radical it was difficult for me to comprehend back then. It became a common topic of discussion that I had with my peers for the following semester. Those discussions soon led to our own radical and absurd ideas of what a city needs and how it should be planned. The proposals ranges from a floating city, an urban farm, an agriculture city and self-containing urban city to name a few. I begin to realize that there are more than one correct method of designing and ideas, no matter how radical, should not be taken for granted. Ironically, the Vertical Prison liberated my own design prison of a safe and calculated approach towards design and planning. While I still believe that there is nothing wrong of designing to the conventional method, my interest soon diversified into other methods of designing and thinking about a city.


Fast forward four years from my first encounter with the Vertical Prison, my interest in urban planning and design led to my enrolment in UDES0004 – History and Theory of Urban Development and Design. I am hoping to enrich my knowledge on existing cities and how it was formed as well as the concepts behind successful urban planning and design. I believe that it is important to understand the fundamental theories and histories in urban development in order to analyze and project the ideas for a new blueprint in designing cities. This blog is created to document my thoughts and progressive learnings of urban development and design as well as to generate an outlet to write about my other interests.

No comments:

Post a Comment