Sunday, May 25, 2014

Fin

My previous post seems to end the digital journal on a light note but I guess the final entry should be on a reflection of what I have learned about cities, planning and public spaces.

First of all I begin writing this blog with thought of exploring radical ideas on the future of city planning. However, as I proceed with writing this blog, my attention turned to something that is more realistic and deals with current issues of urban planning. I guess what I have learned from my experience of writing this blog is that urban planning is not just about the urban form. It also deals with planning policies, the people, the role of citizens in urban planning, the effect of infrastructure on city planning and economic flows. As an architecture student, I enter this course with the primary objective of learning about urban forms but I end up learning more about other aspects in urban planning and the city in more ways than I could have imagined.

Writing this blog also reminded me of the problems of urban planning back in my home country of Malaysia as well as my passion for user-generated urbanism which I wrote about quite a lot in this blog. Additionally, I was able to uncover a few urban planning issues right here in Sydney. I also realized that I am interested in studying the virtual cities found in movies and compare it to cities in the real world.

I believe that the knowledge and experience I have gained through writing this blog as well as taking this course will provide a wider range of knowledge for my journey in becoming an architect. I may have left out some learning outcomes but I am sure that over time, I will come to realize that my future experience will continue to remind me the lessons I have learned through this course and assignment.

No comments:

Post a Comment